Introduction of academic master’s degree major of SPAP: SPAP now has 10 master’s degree programs.
I. Public administration major (theory and practice of public administration):
The major is the master’s degree program and doctoral program for public administration and the national and Bejing key discipline.
Department of Public Administration of Renmin University of China (Institute of Public Administration) plays a significant role in the discipline development of China’s Public Administration and cultivation of professional talents of public administration. The Department is an institution integrating the public administration research, teaching training and social service and is established based on the management scientization, democratization and high efficiency requirements of reform and opening-up on Chinese government; moreover, the Department is the first public administration teaching and scientific research unit established by China’s higher education system (1986), the first master’s degree program for Public Administration (1988) and one of the first three doctoral degree authorization units for Public Administration in China (1998). In 2003, the Department was awarded the title of “Beijing key discipline” by Beijing Municipal Government and Beijing Municipal Education Commission; in 2007, the Department was awarded the title of “national key discipline of public administration” by Ministry of Education. The Department of Public Administration has wide influence in the administration circle at home and abroad.
The mission of the discipline is adhering to the concept of “follow up the theoretical development of public administration and consolidate the theoretical basis of discipline; pay attention to China’s administrative management practice and hold the pulse of the times for Chinese government development; focus on the localization research and establish the international vision; develop governmental and social consulting service and expand the new research field of public administration; improve overall ability of human resources and enhance the influence of the discipline.”
Over nearly three decades, the Department of Public Administration has formed complete scientific research, education, cultivation and social service system of public administration, cultivated lots of undergraduates, graduates, doctoral students and on-the-job and full-time MPAs. Based on the research direction of theory and practice of public administration, the Department takes full cultivation of students’ academic quality and ability to analyze and settle problems as the direction, expands the research fields such as the basic theory of public administration and Chinese public administration practice, public organization and human resources management, public policy and administrative leadership and opens a series of core courses such as Public Administration (special research of administrative reform), Administrative Law, Public Economics, Theory of Public Organization, Human Resources Management of Public Department and Analysis and Evaluation of Public Policy. After implementation of flexible educational system, the Department opens several important elective courses that can meet the demands such as contemporary local governance, 21st century leadership art, non-profit organization, crisis and conflict management, coordination, negotiation and communication management and community management. As the earliest doctoral program, the Department takes the cultivation quality of doctoral candidate as the core to form strict and standard cultivation scheme and procedure that takes academic research of public administration as the direction, among which the researches of doctoral program include theory and practice of public administration, comparative public administration, research of administrative philosophy and administrative culture, research of public policy, research of local governance, research of public organization and personnel administration and administrative reform of Chinese government; moreover, the Department opens courses for doctoral candidates such as research methodology, frontier discipline, readings of masterworks and special lectures.
At present, our Department has eight professors who serve as doctoral supervisors (listed in the order of the number of strokes in their surnames): Liu Taigang, Qi Fanhua, Sun Boying, Yang Kaifeng, Zhang Chengfu, Zhang Kangzhi, Kang Xiaoguang and Wei Na
The public administration program has lots of well-known scholars having great scientific attainments and a teaching team having reasonable knowledge structure. The excellent research team consists of meticulous scholars who are wealthy in knowledge, have wide vision and are models for others. Most of young teachers have the doctoral degree for public administration in Renmin University, Peking University and Nankai University and some teachers are the scholars from postdoctoral research station of Tsinghua University. All full-time teachers of the program have the doctoral degree. There are eight doctoral supervisors in the team. At present, the program has 19 full-time master student supervisors and has recruited Wu Zhilun, Executive Deputy Director of State Commission Office of Public Sectors Reform and Director of Administrative Approval and System Reform Office of the State Council, Researcher Ge Yanfeng, Head of Social Development Department of Development Research Center of the State Council, Researcher Peng Heping, Secretary General of Alumni Association of Renmin University of China, Researcher Zheng Shuiquan, Head of Publicity Department of Renmin University of China, Doctor Li Jiafu, Researcher and Deputy Director of Renmin University Office of China to serve as the postgraduate supervisor of the major.
After establishment of the Department for 20 years (1995), the Department of Public Administration has rich academic accumulation and the scholars compile and publish a series of influential public administration teaching materials, publish lots of high-quality academic papers and translate a batch of classical literatures about foreign public administration. All these achievements are widely praised by the administrative circle of China and lay a solid academic foundation for cultivation of high-quality postgraduates. At the same time, the Department of Public Administration is devoted to major theoretical research of China’s administrative management system reform according to the demand of public management practice and makes efforts to promote the internationalization and localization of the discipline.
The major has partnerships with George Washington University, American University, California State University, Madison, the University of Maryland, Alaska State University; the University of Manchester, University of Leeds; Monash University of Australia; Seoul National University, Korea University; National University of Singapore, Nanyang Technological University, Taiwan University, National Chengchi University, Chinese Culture University, Sun Yat-Sen University, University of Hong Kong, Chinese University of Hong Kong and the City University of Hong Kong in Taiwan and Hong Kong. Moreover, the major has established an exchange and cooperation relationship with the major of Public Administration in domestic well-known universities such as Peking University, Tsinghua University, Beijing Normal University, Fudan University, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Zhongshan University, Wuhan University, Zhejiang University, Xiamen University and Xi'an Jiaotong University. Therefore, the Department of Public Administration can always stand in the forefront of the academic field of Administration and can provide broad academic space for cultivation of postgraduate.
Since the establishment of Institute of Public Administration in 1986, the Department of Public Administration has cultivated the postgraduates majoring in Public Administration for 28 years and doctoral candidates majoring in Public Administration for 20 years. Lots of graduates have become the backbone of the Party and government organizations, institutions of higher education, enterprises and public institutions and some of the graduates take important positions of leadership and receive a good social appraisal.
II. Social Medicine and Health Service Management
1.Profile of the major
The major of Management in Renmin University of China has a complete teaching and talent cultivation system from undergraduate, master, doctoral and post-doctoral research station; in 2004, the master’s degree program for Social Medicine and Health Service Management was established; after more than 10 years of development, a complete academic team having excellent working style, reasonable knowledge structure and multiple and complementary research directions is established. The research direction of teaching and scientific research is becoming distinct, with remarkable achievements and social benefits. The academic influence is growing and the status is rising steadily.
The discipline has accumulated a lot of academic research achievements and currently undertakes 20 scientific research projects, including five major and general projects of National Natural Science Foundation and National Social Science Foundation, two projects of Humanities and Social Science Foundation of Ministry of Education, fifteen projects entrusted by National Health and Family Planning Commission of the People’s Republic of China and National Development and Reform Commission and five international cooperation projects, including the projects entrusted by WHO, CMB and Unicef; the scientific research funds of the discipline and specialty in recent three years reach RMB 6.353 million in total, including the project cost of the country and the State Council of RMB 1.023 million, National Natural Science Foundation of RMB 770,000, National Social Science Foundation of RMB 1.54 million, project cost of local government of RMB 960,000, scientific research cost of enterprises and public institutions of RMB 1.49 million and other project cost of RMB 570,000; the team members has published 157 papers and 9 monographs in the academic journals; obtained 11 awards at provincial and ministerial level; participated in the drafting and modification of “National Maternal and Child Health Strategy 2014-2020”, modification of National Population and Family Planning Law and the dynamic monitoring and investigation of national floating population.
The professional laboratory for the discipline covers a total area of 100 square meters and is equipped with 10 sets (pieces) of instruments and equipment which unit price is more than RMB 10,000. The total investment cost of instruments and equipment is RMB 1 million; the procurement cost for books is RMB 100,000 and other cost for improvement of the working conditions of the program is RMB 1.10 million; the total number of the domestic and foreign collected books is 32600 and there are 1849 kinds of journals in Chinese and foreign languages.
2. Main research directions and contents
(1) Social factor and health research direction. The direction mainly focuses on the research of influence of various social factors on population health status, analysis of potential influence factor. The health education and health promotion can provide new theoretical and empirical evidence for effective reduction of the occurrence of chronic disease and improvement of life quality of patients. The direction involves several disciplines such as Demography, Public Health and Sociology and scientificity and multi-disciplinary integration of the research methods are highlighted. From the research perspective, the discipline focuses on the analysis and research of the potential factors that may affect the population health on different sides. The research of the major involves the relationship between social and economic factors and health, relationship between social class and health, influence of the nutritional status of the population on health, influence of cultural background on health, relationship between different social living environment and health, role of social relationship in the population health and the relationship between population development (population size, population structure and population quality), medical insurance system and population health. Meanwhile, as more attention is paid to the health of vulnerable groups, the research involves the health of population with the lowest allowance for living, health of floating population, women health and children health status.
(2) Medical reform policy and health management. The direction can meet social demand. Medical system is the core of national health system and the medical system problem is the key and difficult point of medical reform. China’s public hospital is the main part of the whole medical service, an important part of public institution, an important field of livelihood and social service and one of the important strategic resources. Since 2005, seeing a doctor has become a hot issue of social concern and medical reform policy has become an important livelihood issue. Medical treatment becomes one of the five important livelihood contents from the 16th CPC National Congress in which the livelihood problem is proposed to the 18th CPC National Congress in which the livelihood system with Chinese characteristics is constructed. A new round of medical reform since 2009 is a systematic reform of medical system. While after seven years, the urban public hospital pilots in 2015 are further expanded and the public hospitals at county level are fully opened, which indicates that the medical reform is long-term undertaking and there is an urgent need to make further research. Public hospital is an important part of reform of public institutions and belongs to the third department or non-profit organization as well as a key and difficult point of governance. The Medical Reform Research Center approved by the school is the first domestic research institution specializing in medical reform, which formally submitted to the suggestion about medical reform to the State Council in 2007 (No. 8 medical reform scheme), which is well recognized by relevant departments and the society and becomes the blueprint of 2009 medical reform scheme framework. The basic theories of the research include Public Administration, Public Economics and Public Policy and there are three research priorities: 1. Medical system reform which involves the problems such as the public hospital management system, status of legal person, organization and personnel; 2. Development and improvement of medical service system which involves the overall demand and supply of medical development, regional health planning, function positioning and configuration of public hospitals and synergetic development of non-public medical organizations; 3. Management problem which involves the hierarchical treatment and diagnosis, medical consortium, hospital remuneration and performance and establishment of external evaluation mechanism. The discipline has contributed some important academic achievements and governance reports in above fields and forms certain research characteristics. The team and leaders in the field have large social influence in the medical reform policy research.
(3) Research of population health and health policy. It is a scientific research and teaching institution which mainly focuses on research of population health and China’s medical and health related policies and aims to provide intellectual support for the government to prepare major medical and health policies, so as to promote the health development of population. The research direction involves several disciplines such as Medicine, Management, Demography, Economics and Sociology and the research method focuses on inter-disciplinary fusion; attention is also paid to the localization research and international cutting-edge information as well as a series of investigations and researches that involve China’s major health problem such as population health demand, health service management innovation mechanism and public health service equalization under the background of population aging and population mobility. Based on the purpose of the program, several research priorities are formed during long-term research process, including research of health policy; population structure, distribution and medical care; population health and health service; population aging and health service management; utilization of floating population health service; maternity and child hygiene; evaluation of public health service project; health policy and project evaluation; research of medical insurance system. Research of population health problem from the perspective of policy supply is one of the most basic and important matters for promoting the long-term and healthy development of population in China. China is experiencing and will face the rapid population aging and large-scale floating population for a long time. Therefore, the research purpose of the discipline is to innovate the health policy, ensure population health and promote stable and sustainable social and economic development under the background of rapid change in population structure.
(4) Drug policy and management. The direction can meet the social demand. Drug policy involves several links namely drug production, distribution and use and is related to resident health, drug industrial development and R&D innovation; the accessibility of drug use of patients is related to the society, ethics and economy; the particularity of drug becomes an important field of reasonable division and cooperation of government and market and a challenge for governance and supervision. Drug is a special commodity and drug policy holds a special status in China’s medical system. The drug income of large-sized general hospital accounts for half of the total income and covering hospital expenses with medicine revenue is a medical reform difficulty to be settled. At present, the research of drug admission, pricing and expense control in China has lagged behind the demand of medical reform, which requires strengthening the research; there are two kinds of domestic schools researching the drug policy: (1) College of Pharmacy: the advantage of the college lies on the research of substantive contents such as R&D and production; (2) comprehensive university: the university researches the pharmacoeconomics and the advantage lies on the evaluation of single drug. Our university forms unique research characteristics by signing cooperative agreement with NICE and holding series of workshops: combine system construction, policy development and evaluation tool; lay emphasis on the research of macro policy, which gets the attention and recognition from relevant departments. One of the researchers independently undertakes relevant researches in UK and grasps the latest international research methods and tools; another researcher has obtained series of achievements in drug safety regulation and has received the recognition from relevant national departments. The basic theory of the field is public administration, public policy, heath economics, pharmacoeconomics and regulatory theory; the research focus includes: (1) the support of pharmacoeconomic evaluation for governmental decision making and policy formulation. No corresponding evaluation is made on current drug launch, pricing and preparation of reimbursement contents and the government has noticed the problem. Therefore, promoting the establishment and improvement of relevant policies is a long-term important research topic. (2) The management innovation in the health and medical field requires the support from the research achievements in this field, such as formulation of clinical pathway, combination of prevention and treatment, management of chronic disease and the determination of other important technical route and effectiveness evaluation. (3) Supervision of drug safety. The current prominent and increasingly severe drug use safety problem should also be researched based on the governance idea and theory and corresponding countermeasures should be proposed. The members in the research direction have made considerable achievements in these fields and can make further in-depth researches.
3. Educational objective
The overall requirements for the doctoral candidates: have a solid professional foundation in Public Policy and Public Administration, grasp standard social science research methods, combine the theory with practice, follow up the health development trends, take research of residents’ “health problem” as the core to put forward the theoretical basis and policy suggestion for realistic problems and grasp the leading information about social medicine and health service development; love the motherland and have good moral character; have prudent scientific attitude, active innovation ability and spirit of devotion; master the skill to independently carry out scientific research and professional work of higher level.
4. Faculty of the major
At present, there are 11 formal teachers recruited for this major, including 3 professors, 6 associate professors and 2 lecturers; in addition, there are 11 faculties having the doctoral degree and master’s degree respectively. The teaching team of the major pays attention to the combination of academic theory and scientific practice and has serious working attitude. The inter-disciplinary fusion of Public Administration, Social Medicine, Public Policy, Public Health, Health Economics, Demography and Management forms deep inside information for the research of the major. The teaching team works tirelessly to research the health field and forms the professional characteristic and advantages of “being at the cutting edge of the times, grasp the latest health policy information and medical reform trends” and cultivates excellent professional health policy talents for the government’s management department.
5. Foreign academic exchange
The academic unit of the major has visited lots of international well-known institutions of higher education, health departments and scientific research institutions to make exchanges and keeps successively exchanges and cooperation with international well-known universities such as Columbia University, John Hopkins University • University of Minnesota, the British Imperial College, University of London, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Diseases Research Institute, University of Paris X, France, Germany, Technical University of Berlin and Norwegian University of Science and Technology. In addition, the unit is also invited to participate in the important international conferences such as ISPOR and World Health Economics Conference. In August 2009, the unit entered into a formal cooperation agreement with National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE), the most representative international authority in the field of drug and medical technology standard preparation. In 2011, the Center entered into a second five-year cooperation agreement with NICE.
6. Main professional curriculums
Main professional curriculums include Health Service Management, Medical Security, Health Economics, Health Policy and Project Evaluation and Social Medicine.
7. Placement of graduates
The graduates majoring in Social Medicine and Health Service Management are competent for the teaching and scientific research institutions of higher education and relevant organizations or are qualified to take up the health policy research, decision making and management in the governmental departments, health organizations and other relevant departments and institutions. The policy-type and managerial talents are cultivated for enterprises.
Introduction of supervisor:
III. Major of Social Security
Institute of Social Security of SPAP of Renmin University of China has doctoral, master’s degree and post-doctoral research stations for Social Security, cultivates the doctoral candidates, master degree candidates and masters in MPA and provides high-level professional talents in the fields of social security policy research, implementation, scientific research and teaching for the governmental authorities, institutions of higher education and research institutions and also cultivates high-level professionals in the fields of social security (insurance) fund management and employee welfare management for financial institutions and other large-sized enterprises.
Institute of Social Security now has 7 formal teachers and 2 part-time teachers, including five professors, 6 doctoral supervisors, 1 associate professor and 2 lecturers. All teachers have the doctoral degree. The training orientation of doctoral candidates mainly includes Theory and Policy of Social Security, Policy and Management of Social Security, Social Security and Foundation Management, Social Security and Income Distribution, Medical Security and Health Policy, Endowment Insurance, Social Security Economics, Social Security and Finance.
The teaching team of Institute of Social Security lays emphasis on the standard and rigorous research methods, especially for the application of theory and research method of modern economics, and forms unique characteristics and specialties. The research contents include the theories, policies and international comparison in different fields of social security: basic theory of social security (Economics, Politics, Management and Sociology), China’s social security reform and policy and international comparison of social security system; operation and management of social security system, social security (insurance) foundation management and operation; endowment insurance, medical insurance, unemployment insurance, work-related injury insurance, maternity insurance, health and medical management and income distribution policy. The professors of the Institute make lots of remarkable achievements in the research of above fields, gain high reputation and influence in domestic research circle of social security theory and policy and keep widespread contact with the international academic circle.
Overall requirements of the Institute of Social Security on cultivation of doctoral candidates: grasp and apply the standard research methods, closely follow up the leading international academic information, pay close attention to the realistic problems in China and try to make high-level researches. The professional curriculums established for doctoral candidates mainly include Frontiers of Social Security Theory, Research of China’s Social Security Policy, Social Security and Finance, Frontier of Public Administration and Public Policy and Frontiers of Economics. Moreover, the Institute of Social Security actively seeks cooperation with foreign universities and colleges to cultivate doctoral candidates and assigns doctoral candidates to study abroad.
IV. Major of Land Resources Management
The major is the doctoral and master degree program and a key discipline in Beijing.
1. Profile of the major
In 1985, Renmin University of China opened the first undergraduate major of “land management” in China and established the Department of Land Management in 1988. At present, a complete talent cultivation system integrating the undergraduate, postgraduate, MPA (major orientation) and doctoral candidate education is formed. The major of “Land Resources Management” is one of the doctoral program approved and established by Ministry of Education. Great achievements have been made in teaching and scientific research of the major and more than 30 academic monographs are published. The published “national planning teaching materials” such as Land Economics, Cadastral Management and Real Estate Appraisal and “land resources management related teaching materials for 21st century” have wide influence on a national scale. The faculties and students have published more than 300 papers in domestic and foreign important academic journals or academic conferences; submitted nearly 100 investigation and consultation reports for enterprises and governmental departments at different levels; their scientific research achievements obtained provincial and ministerial awards for scientific and technological advancement or outstanding achievement awards. The major successively undertakes National Natural Science Foundation Project, National Social Science Foundation Project, Humanities and Social Sciences Project of Department of Ministry and more than 40 scientific research tasks at provincial and ministerial level or above.
Department of Land Management obtained professional certification for two master’s programs namely Land Resources Management and Real Estate Economics by Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyor in 2006 and became the first domestic unit filing an independent application and obtaining the qualification certification (Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyor (RICS) is the world’s largest comprehensive professional group in real estate, building, measurement and environment field).
2. Main research direction
The major mainly includes five research directions namely land system and policy, land utilization and planning, property right and property registration management for real estate and land information system, real estate appraisal and market and land economics.
3. Research contents
(1) Land system and policy: mainly research the preparation, implementation and evaluation of policies, laws and regulations concerning land property right system, land utilization system, land taxation system and land property right, land utilization, land protection, land consolidation, land acquisition, land market, land price, land finance and land taxation.
(2) Land utilization and planning: mainly research the preparation theory, method and technology of special plans for sustainable utilization and development of land resources, land utilization strategy and mode, land resource investigation, evaluation technology, overall planning of land utilization, urbanization planning, land development and consolidation and land resources protection as well as the land utilization project planning, design and management.
(3) Property right and property registration management for real estate and real estate information system: mainly research the basic theory and method of property right and property registration management of real estate as well as the application of 3S in real estate management. Specific contents: land classification, cadastral measurement and land investigation, real estate registration system, real estate information statistics and analysis, basic principle and leading technology of real estate information system.
(4) Real estate appraisal and market: make in-depth research of the basic theory and method of real estate appraisal, land purchase and reserve, land transfer, operating mechanism and method for bid invitation and auction, including the operation rule of real estate market, the mutual influence between real estate market and the national economic departments and the change rule.
(5) Land economics: research the land problems from the perspective of economics; research the economic relationship and development law in land utilization.
4. Educational objective
Grasp the basic theory and professional knowledge of Marxism, love the mother land, have good moral character, strong sense of professionalism, innovation ability and devotion spirit; be willing to become high-level and high-quality professionals to serve socialist modernization construction; master basic theories and systematic knowledge of land resources management and related fields; have the ability to engage in the research of economic management or independently assume the specific work in the field; master a foreign language.
5. Faculty of the major
With strong faculty team and reasonable academic echelon, the major takes the leading position in the field of land resources management. The Department of Land Management has 6 professors (including 2 adjunct professors), 3 associate professors and 2 lecturers and six of them are the doctoral supervisors. Most of the on-the-job teachers have doctoral degree and three teachers hold post-doctoral degree.
6. Foreign academic exchange
Department of Land Management attaches great importance to international academic exchange activities. Now the Department has established academic exchange relationship with Lincoln Institute of Land Policy, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors, Hong Kong Institute of Surveyors, and School of International Land Management of Cambridge, National University of Singapore, Tel Aviv University, Hong Kong University, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Taiwan Chengchi University, Taiwan Feng Chia University, University of Hannover, Germany, Technical University of Munich and other well-known universities, academic groups and research institutions in Canada, Australia, Russia, Ukraine, Netherlands and other countries and regions.
7. Main professional curriculums
Land Utilization and Evaluation, Land Policy Analysis and Evaluation, Theory and Method of Land Planning, Top Real Estate Valuation, Theory of Real Right and Real Estate Registration, Advanced Land Economics, Econometrics, Urban Planning and Management, Real Estate Finance, Urban Operation and Management, Land Information System, Frontiers of Domestic and Foreign Land Management, Seminars and Social Practice.
8. Placement of graduates
National, provincial and municipal governments, macro-management department, land management department, urban and rural planning and construction management department and policy research institution; real estate development and operation enterprise, financial institution and real estate consultation and evaluation agency; universities and colleges of higher education and scientific research institutions and foreign well-known universities and research institutions.
V. Major of Public Policy
Public Policy is first-level discipline of Public Administration and is a master’s degree program.
Public Policy is a key research field of modern public administration. Since 1950s, in order to meet the scientific, professional and democratic development of government decision-making, Public Policy develops rapidly. At present, the world renowned universities generally establish the School of Public Policy or major of Public Policy to cultivate the doctoral students and postgraduates of public policy. Now Public Policy has become a “prominent subject” of social science.
Public Policy makes use of inter-disciplinary approach to research the real social problems and figure out the solutions and integrates the knowledge of such disciplines as Politics, Administration, Economics, Law, Management, Sociology, Psychology and Ethics to the greatest extent, so that it has a broad research space and far-reaching social impact.
Institute of Public Policy and Public Security of SPAP of Renmin University of China has a very good academic foundation and human resources reserves and supports the teaching and scientific research of Public Policy. The Institute is committed to the research of basic theory and analysis method of public policies and initiates the research of China’s public policy analysis and evaluation of large projects by reliance on 211 projects and key disciplines in Beijing, establishes the public policy case library and lays a sound foundation for cultivation of public policy professionals. Different departments and institutes of SPAP form the research groups of specific public policy field and all these advantages will help Renmin University of China to establish featured and high-quality public policy professionals training base. The major has four professors, 3 associate professors and 3 lecturers. About 80% of the teachers have the experience of study abroad for a long period, so that a strong domestic public policy research and teaching team is established.
Research direction of Public Policy includes: basic theory of public policy, analysis of public policy, comparative research of public policies of different countries, research of policy process, preparation of public policy, implementation of public policy, policy evaluation method, public safety management and crisis decision-making. The public policy professionals are mainly working for central and local governmental authorities, public institutions, non-profit organizations and large-sized enterprises after graduation. Public policy professionals are qualified for the positions in following departments: governmental decision-making department, policy research department, functional management department and auxiliary decision-making department. Public policy professionals are competent for following working activities: engage in the national or regional macro problem analysis and policy investigation; put forward strategic policy planning and relevant analysis report; evaluate the policy implementation result; analyze the specific policy problems in public administration field; propose countermeasure suggestions to the unit leaders and department heads.
VI. Major of Public Organization and Human Resources
Profile of the major
1. Profile: SPAP of Renmin University of China is the first unit obtaining the right to confer doctoral degree of first-level discipline of public administration in China. Institute of Organization and Human Resources of SPAP first enrolls the doctors, postgraduates and postgraduates with MPA professional degree majoring in public organization and human resources in China, establishes wide academic relationship with domestic and foreign teaching and scientific research institutions and actual departments and has rich experience in postgraduate cultivation and high social reputation.
2. Main research directions: organization theory and organization management; HR management of public departments; civil servant system and civil servant ability construction; performance management of public department, etc.
3. Research contents: development of organization theory, organization and public organization, structure of public organization, design and management, organization and public organization construction; theory and method of human resources management, process and contents of HR management of public department, HR development; reform and development of civil servant system, contents and construction of China’s civil servant system, leadership science and leadership art; theory and method of performance management, performance management of China’s public departments, performance management tool and application.
4. Educational objective: cultivate the high-level professionals who can systematically master the Marxism-Leninism, Mao Zedong Thought, Deng Xiaoping Theory and important thought of “Three Represents”; implement the Scientific Outlook on Development and achieve all-round development in morality, intelligence, physique and art; have a public spirit of serving the people, master solid theoretical foundation of public administration and grasp the knowledge, method and technology of public organization and modern HR management; have the independent ability to engage in the academic research of public organization and HR management, policy scheme design, teaching and actual work.
5. Faculties of the major: the Institute has an excellent teaching team that is established after long-term development and has wide influence in the national public organization and HR field. Now the Institute has seven full-time teachers, including four professors and doctoral supervisors, one associate professor and two lecturers and all of them are the master supervisors. The teaching team consists of teachers with reasonable age, major and research direction and structure and all teachers have the part-time and consultation working experience in the government and various public organizations and have established close working relationship with the pubic organization and HR management departments.
The Institute has a part-time teaching team which consists of five people, including 1 adjunct professor in SPAP, 3 adjunct professors recruited by organization and HR department and research institution and 1 part-time researcher and all of them are the department heads, experts and new scientific researchers having actual working experience and remarkable research achievements.
6. Foreign academic exchange: the Institute has actively participated in the foreign exchanges and has established formal relationship with the universities, scientific research institutions and HR professional institutions in countries and regions such as USA, UK, Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macao. The Institute will hold several academic exchange activities in each semester and the institutionalized activities include “Chinese Celebrity Forum of Organizational Behavior and HR Management”, “Forum of HR Talents and Experts” and “Series of Forums Lectured by Minister of Organization”. The students have full opportunities to carry out exchange activities with domestic and foreign experts, scholars and students in this field; doctoral and postgraduate students can apply for overseas study as an exchange students; postgraduate students have the chance to go abroad to study for a doctoral degree after graduation.
7. Main professional curriculums: Public Administration, Organizational Behavior, reading class of public organization and HR related literatures, Research of Frontline Problems of Public Organization and Human Resources Management, Research of Frontline Problems of Public Policy, Research of Management Idea, Organization Theory and Organization Design, Economic Model, Scientific and Logical Methods and Research Method of Public Administration.
8. Placement of graduates: PhD graduates in this major are competent for following jobs: 1. Teaching and scientific research work in universities, colleges or research institutions; 2. Organization and HR management work in governmental institutions or public institutions; 3. Organization and HR management work in state-owned large- and medium-sized enterprises, foreign-funded enterprise and other organizations; 4. Professional HR management consultation work in international and domestic consulting companies.
VII. Major of Public Finance Management
The major of Public Finance Management is a doctoral and master degree program.
Public Finance Management is an applied science which aims to research how can the government reasonably collects funds and effectively allocate and use funds for the purpose of providing public service and meeting public demand. The research scope includes theory and policy of public finance management, influence and effect of public finance management on government governance and relationship between public finance management and other disciplines related to public administration. Main research direction includes macroeconomic operation and public finance policy, public finance management, etc.
Professional curriculums of public finance management mainly include: Research and Study of Main Literatures of Public Finance Management, Theory Management Frontiers of Public Finance and Social Security, Research of Cutting-edge Problems of Public Policy, Analysis of Time Series, Analysis of Econometrics, Theoretical Research of Social Security, Taxation Management, International Taxation and Monetary Finance.
The major of Public Finance Management mainly aims to cultivate the high-level and high-quality public finance management research and practical talents for public organizations. The cultivation objects are the personnel who have strong interest in the theoretical research or practical operation of public finance management of public organizations and who have high potential for further study. After systematic professional cultivation, the students are able to grasp the basic theory and research method of public finance management, understand the domestic and foreign public finance management practice, improve their basic abilities and quality, thus laying a solid theoretical and technological foundation for their engagement in teaching, research and management in the finance and taxation management departments and relevant public management departments after graduation.
The graduates majoring in public finance management should have solid theoretical foundation of public administration and economics, grasp the knowledge of public finance management and be able to independently engage in the actual work of public finance management, theory and policy research and scientific research projects. At present, most of the graduates in this major are engaging in finance management, financial business, teaching and scientific research in governmental departments at different levels, enterprises and public institutions, teaching and scientific research institutions.
In recent years, Department of Public Finance Management actively carries out international academic exchanges and establishes good academic exchange and academic cooperation relationship with universities such as University of Michigan, University of Kansas, Swiss Graduate School of Public Administration, Meiji University, Toyama University and University of Saskatchewan in Canada.
The program now has four professors, two associate professors and one lecturer and all of them hold the doctoral degree and most of them have the experience of studying and teaching abroad. At present, the doctoral supervisors are Professor Xu Guangjian, Professor Gao Peiyong, Professor Huang Yanfen and Professor Sun Yudong.
VIII. Major of Urban Planning and Management:
The major is a master’s degree program.
1 Profile of the major
Urbanization is a major strategic choice for China to achieve modernization in 21st century. In next 20 years, China’s urbanization level will increase from 45% to 60% and about 200 million people will enter the city. In the rapid urbanization development period of China, cultivation of inter-disciplinary planners and planning and management talents having the knowledge of Planning, Management and Economy becomes the most urgent need for establishment of a harmonious society in the new era.
Renmin University of China is a research-oriented key university with the main program being Humanistic and Social Science and has outstanding advantages in the fields such as Economics, Sociology, Law and Management. SPAP of Renmin University of China has lots of influential disciplines that are closely related to the urban planning such as Public Administration, Land Management, Regional Economy and Urban Economy, Public Policy and Public Safety, Social Security, Organization and Human Resources, Public Finance and Non-profit Organization. Relying on these preponderant disciplines, the major of Urban Planning is developed, which can promote the transformation of urban planning in China from “focus on planning preparation” to “focus on planning management and implementation” and from “technical planning” to “policy-based planning”.
In this context, Renmin University of China established Department of Urban Planning and Management in December 2006. The master’s degree program for Urban Planning and Management started enrollment in 2008 and enrolled 9, 10 and 12 postgraduates in 2008, 2009 and 2010 respectively.
2 Main research direction
The main research direction of the major includes planning research and urban research. Focuses of planning research include: research of scientific urban planning mechanism and research of efficient urban planning and management system; focuses of urban research include: research of urban spatial structure, research of urban industrial development, research of urban development strategy, research of urban social and community problems, research of urbanization and population migration and research of overall urban and rural development.
3 Educational objective
Cultivate the urban planning professionals who can grasp the basic theory and professional knowledge of urban planning and professions and who have good moral character, strong sense of professionalism, innovation ability, devotion spirit and high academic ability.
Department of Urban Planning and Management has two professors, three associate professors and 5 lecturers. Qiu Baoxing, Vice Minister of Ministry of Construction, Shi Nan, Secretary General of Urban Planning Society of China and Zhao Yanjing, Director of Xiamen Planning Bureau are recruited as the adjunct professors of the major.
5 Foreign academic exchange
Department of Urban Planning and Management has achieved the intention of cooperation with American Planning Association, School of Environmental Studies of University of Waterloo, Land Department of University of Cambridge and University of Melbourne in fields such as students cultivation, teacher visiting and project cooperation; and keeps the academic exchanges and cooperation with several international academic institutions such as Territory Institute of Korea, Asia Institute of Japan and Yamaguchi University.
6 Main professional curriculums
Research Method of Management Science, Public Administration, Measurement Method of Modern Urban Planning and Management, Industrial Economics, Research of Public Policy, Public Finance, Economic Analysis of Urban Development, Frontiers of Modern Urban Management, Urban Development Strategic Planning, Digital Urban Management, Urban Community Development Planning and Management, Urban Planning and Public Policy, Urban Land and Public Housing Management, Urban and Rural Planning and Management Case Study, Selected Readings of Classic Foreign Literatures for Modern Urban Planning and Management, etc.
7 Placement of graduates
Be civil servants in Urban Planning Department and other relevant departments; work for Planning Institute, Urban Planning Preparation and Research Center, Consulting Company and large-sized state-owned enterprises.
IX. Major of Labor Economics:
1. Profile of the major: the discipline can confer the master’s degree for labor economics in the first-level discipline of Applied Economics and aims to cultivate the postgraduates in Theory and Policy of Labor Market, Theory and Technology of HR Management, Organization Design and Organization Management.
2. Main research direction: theory of labor economics; labor market policy; labor relationship and labor management; theory of HR management; HR development and management; theory of organizational behavior; HR management economics.
3. Research contents: theory of labor economics; labor market policy; investment inhuman capital; HR development; HR management economics; HR strategy and planning; position analysis; recruitment and selection; performance management; salary and welfare management; HR management of public department.
4. Educational objective: high-level professionals who can grasp systematic labor economics and basic theory and professional knowledge of HR development and management and who are able to undertake scientific research in the labor economics and HR development and management field and independently undertake actual work in the labor economics and HR development and management field. After graduation, students can engage in the actual work of labor economics and HR development and management in enterprises and public departments, or can engage in the teaching and scientific research in the field of labor economics and HR development and management field.
5. Faculty of the major: the major has great faculties, including four professors, two associate professors and one lecturer and six of them hold the doctoral degree and two of them are overseas returned doctors. Most of other teachers have the experience of studying abroad for a long period. Teachers in this major have published lots of papers and works in the organization and HR field and keep wide contact with the governmental organizations, public institutions and enterprises and have large influence in the academic circle and practical field.
6. Foreign academic exchange: active foreign exchange activities are organized and formal contact is kept with lots of universities, scientific research institutions and HR professional institutions in USA, UK, Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macao. Several academic exchange activities are organized in each semester, including “Chinese Celebrity Forum of Organizational Behavior and HR Management”, “Forum of HR Talents and Experts” and “Series of Forums Lectured by Minister of Organization”. The students have full opportunities to carry out exchange activities with foreign experts, scholars and students in this field; students have the chance to study abroad as exchange students and some postgraduate students can directly study for a doctoral degree after graduation.
7. Main professional curriculums: Labor Economics; Organizational Behavior, Human Resource Management Economics, Human Resource Strategy and Planning, Training Development, Performance Assessment and Performance Management, Salary Theory and Salary Management, Leadership Science and Art, Team Construction and Management Communication.
8. Placement of graduates: graduates in this major are competent for following jobs: 1. HR management work in state-owned large- and medium-sized enterprises, foreign-funded enterprises and other organizations; 2. Salary and welfare management and other HR management work in governmental agency or public institution; 3. Professional HR management and consultation work in domestic and foreign consulting companies; 4. Study for doctoral degree for relevant majors such as Labor Economics and HR Management at home or abroad.
X. Major of Real Estate Economics:
The major is a master’s degree program.
1. Profile of the major
In 1993, Renmin University of China established the first “real estate operation and management” undergraduate program and the major of Enterprise Management enrolls the postgraduates and doctoral candidates in “real estate management”. At present, a complete talent cultivation system for undergraduate, postgraduate, MPA (major orientation) and doctoral candidate education is established. In recent years, remarkable achievements in teaching and scientific research are obtained and more than ten academic papers are published; Real Estate Economics, which is known as “Excellent National Teaching Material” and “National Planning Teaching Material” is published and more than 20 monographs of “real estate teaching materials for 21st century” and teaching materials are published; more than 60 investigation and consultation reports are submitted to enterprises and governmental departments at different levels and several achievements are awarded provincial and ministerial outstanding achievement awards. The department successively undertakes more than 20 national, provincial and ministerial scientific research programs and has completed “Public House Launch Policy Design”, the emergency project of National Natural Foundation, “Research of Real Estate Bubble” of National Social Science Foundation, “Coordinated Development of Real Estate Industry and Social Economy”, major program of National Natural Foundation and “Research of China’s Real Estate Bubble and Early Warning System”, the Social Science Foundation Project of Ministry of Education.
Department of Land Management obtained the professional accreditation for the two master’s degree programs of land resource management and real estate economics by Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyor in 2006 and becomes the first domestic unit who files an independent application and obtains the qualification authentication (Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyor (RICS) is the world’s largest comprehensive professional group in the real estate, building, measurement and environment field).
1.Main research directions
Theory of real estate economy, urban real estate management, real estate investment and finance, appraisal of real estate, real estate development and operation, real estate market research.
3. Main research contents
Discover the economic and social relationships in the operation of real estate economy and methods and policies to coordinate, standardize and manage these interest relationship based on the basic theoretical research foundation of economics and management, so as to promote the coordinated development of real estate industry and social economy.
(1) Theory of real estate economy: mainly research the operation law of real estate economy and market, mutual effect and development rule of real estate and social and economic departments, which is the theoretical basis for guiding the operation of real estate economy.
(2) Urban real estate management: mainly research the history and status quo of urban land and house policy, analyze and evaluate the actual implementation of policies in order to adjust and improve the real estate policies and implementation methods.
(3) Real estate investment and finance: mainly research the real estate investment behavior and basic operation law of financial activities and its influence and effect on development of the real estate industry, thus providing important theories and methodologies for real estate investors and financial institutions.
(4) Appraisal of real estate: mainly research the theory and method of real estate valuation, methods and technical routes of valuation with different purposes, methods and characteristics of different kinds of real estate valuation.
(5) Real estate development and operation: mainly research the real estate development and operation, theory and practice of marketing and property management, thus providing important theories and methodologies for the economic activities of real estate enterprises.
(6) Real estate market research: mainly research the characteristics and operation law of real estate market, qualitative and quantitative analysis method of real estate market, real estate market investigation technology. Such researches are the technical means for researching real estate economy and management problems.
4. Educational objective
Cultivate the high-level and high-quality talents majoring in real estate economy who can meet the demand of construction of socialist market economy.
5. Faculty of the major
There are 3 professors (including one adjunct professor), 5 associate professors (including two cross-departmental professors), 2 lecturers and 3 doctoral supervisors. There are 9 on-the-job teachers holding the doctoral degree and there is 1 teacher holding postdoctoral degree.
6. Foreign academic exchange
At present, the Department has established the academic exchange relationship with American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, Lincoln Institute of Land Policy, Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyor, International Land Management School of University of Cambridge, University of Singapore, Tel Aviv University, Hong Kong Institute of Surveyors, University of Hong Kong, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, National Chengchi University, Taiwan Feng Chia University and the academic groups and research institutions in nations and regions such as Germany, Russia, Ukraine and Netherlands.
7. Main professional curriculums
Real Estate Economics, Real Estate Policy Analysis and Evaluation, Real Estate Market Research, Real Estate Investment and Finance, Case Analysis of Real Estate Valuation, Real Estate Development and Operation, Urban Planning, Urban Management, etc.
8. Placement of graduates
Land and real estate management departments and policy research institutions at different levels, real estate development and operation enterprises, banks and other financial institutions, real estate consultation and evaluation organization, universities and colleges of higher education and scientific research institutions.